Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Black Swan + Oscar season

Listening to: Joanna Newsom
Watching: The L word
Reading: Catch 22

Well after months of anticipation I finally got to watch Black Swan. Can I start by saying that Darren Aronofsky is nothing short of a genius? I have honestly not felt this way after seeing a film since I watched Requiem for a Dream (my favorite movie which was also directed by Darren). He has the amazing ability to draw the viewer in, make them feel every emotion portrayed through the characters and experience the atmosphere of the story that you can almost smell it.



Darren's films usually revolve around the same subject of an emotional and physically damaging obsession, as seen in Requiem for a Dream and The Wrestler. He continues with this theme in Black Swan with Nina (played to perfection by the divine Natalie Portman) the prima ballerina who tries to overcome her mental anguish and slow insanity to perfect the role of the Black Swan in Swan Lake.

Visually this film can be dark, gritty and truly uncomfortable at times, yet immaculately beautiful at other times. The symbolism is fantastic and is always a treat to see. And Natalie Portman! Where do I start! Her performance is truly something of brilliance as she portrays a fragile woman who's obsession on perfection eventually creates her downfall. You really feel for her character in the film, so virginal, so pure yet so tortured by her fears and her mental conflict. And seeing her as the black swan is enchanting as well as frightening.



It is now in my personal top 3 favorite movies of all time. I insist that you all see it.

.

So its that time of the year again- Oscar Season. Some of you may groan in apathy but I am happy to admit that I am a self proclaimed Oscars junkie. I am so happy about the Oscar nominations this year. I found the last few years to be a bit disappointing and pretentious but thankfully 2010/11 has been a fantastic year for enriching films. I'm very confident that Natalie Portman will win best actress, which will probably result in the neighbours hearing me scream with delight (I hope that doesn't sound suss...). As for best actor, my money is for the wonderful Colin Firth to win (I'm seeing The Kings Speech on Thursday), but I would love nothing more than to see the gorgeous James Franco take away the gong for his role in 127 Hours-





I guess you could say that my opinion would seem very bias since the movie hasn't been released in Australia yet, but you can see from the previews of this film why James is nominated, as well as the film being nominated for Best Picture. I swear my heart stopped beating while watching this trailer-


127 Hours Full Trailer
Uploaded by PosterTrailer. - Check out other Film & TV videos.


Cannot wait

♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment